What is GMP?
A Good Manufacturing Practice or GMP Logo is a certificate rewarded by the Ministry of Health Malaysia (MOH) for food premise operators involving the process of processing, packaging, storage, and distribution of food.
Basically, it is a key requirement for every food operator before obtaining the HACCP (Hazard Analysis & Critical Control Point) certificate by the MOH.
The main goal of this GMP certification is to help the national food industry to achieve higher standards of food production and meet national requirements.
Who should apply for GMP?
Although not mandatory, the GMP certification is very beneficial for any business as a sign of recognition for good manufacturing practices within its facility.
It is open to all types of food premise operators involved in manufacturing food products in Malaysia.
Benefits of having the GMP logo
Similar to any other certification, the GMP logo gives official recognition to the business owner. The GMP certification shows that the food premises have successfully implemented and adopted all the necessary criteria.
Not only that, products owners with the GMP logo will benefit from the following:
- Easy to get export certificates such as Certificate of Free Sale, GMO Certificate, and others.
- Strengthens other quality assurance schemes such as ISO, HACCP, and HALAL.
- Compete with other countries in the global food market.
- Ensures that the Malaysian food industry complies with domestic and foreign standards.
What are the requirements for GMP logo application?
The general requirement to apply for a GMP logo are as follows:
- Premises must be registered with MOH through the website https://fosim.moh.gov.my
- Premises need to be licensed with the Local Authority or approval from another government agency; except for premises maintained by the Government.
- Premises must be registered with the Companies Commission of Malaysia (SSM) except for premises maintained by the Government.
- The GMP system must be implemented at least three (3) months prior to application.
- Food premises must comply with relevant laws and regulations in Malaysia.
Food premise operators should also take note of these special requirements when submitting a GMP manual:
- Company profile
- Food Safety Management Policy
- Food Safety Objectives
- Organization Chart
- GMP member chart and GMP member background
- Location plan
- Explanation of each element of the GMP including SOPs, supporting documents, etc.
- The manual needs to be signed by the top management with Executive authority.
How much does the GMP logo cost?
Below is the price of the GMP application:
150 full -time employees and above with annual sales of RM25 million and above
<150 full -time employees with annual sales of <RM25 million
<5 full -time employees with annual sales of less than RM250,000
|New Application||RM 4,700||RM 3,500||RM 2,300|
|Renewal Application||RM 3,500||RM 2,600||RM 1,800|
|Surveilling Application**||RM 1,600||RM 1,600||RM 1,600|
How to Apply for GMP Logo?
All food premise operators can apply for the GMP certification online through the website Bahagian Keselamatan Makanan dan Kualiti Makanan Kementerian Kesihatan Malaysia
Stand Above Competition with a GMP Logo
With a Good Manufacturing Practice certification, presenting the GMP logo on your product packaging will certainly catch consumers’ eyes.
Since a GMP logo signifies you follow safe and strict standards set by MOH, consumers are much more reassured by your product and overall brand.
But before you do, you need to have proper product packaging and labeling so your product stands above your competitors.
You’re in the right place! We provide food labeling and packaging services in Malaysia so you can skip the hassle.